Thursday, January 11, 2007

Emily Rose

I watched The Exorcism of Emily Rose the other day. I was not really sure what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised at how well written it was and how well placed the lighting and camera angles where. It was not like a horror film it was more of a drama with a jump out and get you feel to it. It really got me to thinking about demonic forces. What do I believe about them? It did a great job at scientifically justifying what was happening. But to a certain extent it did not quite cut it. I still am not sure what I think about possession or exorcisms. All I know is that when I was watching the movie something inside me told me that it was not real. Although I know that Jesus casted out demons. for some reason I felt as though that dose not happen now. Then I asked myself why? Why could they not be around anymore? The more I thought about it the more I realized that I don't really want to know. I know that demonic forces are real and I know that angles are real but why could I not believe that someone being possessed by a demon in our day is real? I know that the Exorcism of Emily Rose is based on a true story about a girl in the 1950's in France. Why is it that we keep supernatural forces at bay in our minds? I think it has to do with power. We want so much to be in control that we will not let a realm into our thoughts unless we have power over it. Or at least have the power to interact with it at will. Personally I don't think I want to know because I don't know anything about it. I have no real way of knowing. There is so much corruption in today's society that I don't know what to believe. I am still not sure what I think about psychiatric conditions being treated with medications. I would love any input that you (the reader) has to say about this I would like for you to think of this as more of a discussion than a statement!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

O.K... So. I was really confused about this last year, because I have a friend in Nepal who encounters a lot of spiritually troubling things. I was really confused and scared after reading one of her support letters because she talked a lot about demons and spiritual forces. So I talked to one of my good friends, a man in his forties who's going to Seminary. He said that in some ways it doesn't matter what people call it, a physical problem such as Scizophrenia is also a spiritual problem, and a spiritual problem is often laces with mental and physical difficulties as well. It doesn't really matter if the problem is Spiritual or pysical, because Jesus Christ is the answer to all problems.
I liked that. But I seriously have put a lot and a lot of thought into this, and have so much more to say about it than I could possibly put in a comment. So, do you want to get together sometime? We could go out for coffee or just hang out and talk, would Sarah or Jess like to come?
--Renee